Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Blogging and libraries

Even though I'm one of the "tech guys" at my branch, I am actually pretty slow to embrace new technology. I'd give examples, but I don't really want to embarrass myself too much.

So I have to say that I'm not completely sure how to use blogging in libraries. I suppose it'd be great for keeping people updated on library news, especially if combined with an RSS feed. Patrons could subscribe to the feed and be aware of library events the moment they are posted. Of course, this requires people who understand everything I've just talked about, and I'm not sure that the majority of library users make use of blogs and RSS just yet.

1 comment:

Amanda Coppedge Bosky said...

I think setting up a library blog--aka something that is self-contained on the library website and powered by something like wordpress--is pretty useless. Like you said, people have to know how to use rss feeds, etc. I think setting one blog up on myspace and one on facebook would be good. That way people who "friend" the library would get updates about programs and news as part of their RDA of social networking.