Friday, June 27, 2008

The wonders of Youtube

I'm already quite familiar with youtube. What I love about the site is that it has achieved critical mass and it's pretty much the dumping site for almost any kind of video you can find. I've found a few videos of obscure performances of progressive rock bands from the 1970s on there. This is the kind of thing one probably would have paid $30 for a bootleg VHS tap about 10 years ago!

Similarly, there are entire feature-length movies out there which are now public domain...or perhaps put up there with the permission of the creator. I found the movie Threads on Google Video, which left me utterly terrified of nuclear war when I was in middle school.


One thing I can usually do without in youtube is the comments section. It can start off all right, but it usually quickly devolves into petty insults. I do appreciate that YouTube has responded to this problem by allowing users to rate each comment and even label it as spam, but it doesn't seem to do much in the long run.

YouTube and other video sharing sites could definitely be useful for libraries. I think it would be great to record a lot of the special programs we offer and post them to youtube, either in their entirety or just clips for promotional use.

There are a lot of videos I'd like to share from youtube, but I narrowed it down to this one called "My Childhood in 4 Minutes." It's a bunch of footage from a bunch of mid-80s and 90s video games spliced together with a Weezer song in the background. I played many of the games featured in the video when I was a kid, so it's a big nostalgia trip for me.

No comments: